Tuesday, June 10, 2014

The Most Complicated Thing Here...Pharmacies.

School happened. And then I got a spinach, egg pie thing for lunch. Exhilarating.

UNIFE today was pretty fun. We had an hour of World Cup trivia. My group scored a 14 out of a possible 24 (I think) points. Pretty good, considering I was the most well versed in soccer knowledge on the team and I'm far from expert status. Anyway, after the game, we had a lecture about the Peruvian government and economy. The lecturer was very enthusiastic and obviously knew what he was talking about.

We left UNIFE an hour early to head to the Museo Oro del Perú. It's a very historical museum showcasing old armor and artifacts of the conquistadors, but most importantly a lot of the gold buried by Incan and pre-Incan societies. The gold on display was the gold the Spaniards didn't find. During the colonization by the Spanish, any gold they found was sent back to Europe. But since the indigenous people buried their dead with a lot of gold adornments, there were many pieces the conquistadors didn't find that are now preserved in this museum. I also learned that the artifacts they found in Peru were just gold. As opposed to what was discovered in other countries like Colombia which had other gems like rubies integrated into the designs. The gold was incredible looking. Unfortunately, photos were not allowed, so you'll never know what it actually looked like unless you come visit this beautiful country.

When we got back to Miraflores, I went to the pharmacy to get something for my mosquito bites that have turned into a rash looking thing. It's pretty gross. (Too much info? Oh well) I had heard from multiple people that rubbing alcohol is a pretty good remedy. So I went to the pharmacy to try and purchase some. Easy enough, right? No. At the pharmacy I went to, there were four different counters. None of which were labeled. I was supposed to consult a pharmacist at the "consulting counter," order at the "ordering counter," pay at the "paying counter" and then finally pick it up at the "pick up counter." As if I didn't already stand out with my red hair and fair skin, I looked pretty foreign wondering through the pharmacy. Needless to say, I did not go through the process in the correct order. But I did get my rubbing alcohol for only 4 soles (less than $1.50) and I think I'm going to live.

No comments:

Post a Comment