Monday, June 9, 2014

R2-D2 and C-3PO

School today was actually pretty fun. It was a lot of conversation and not a lot of textbook grammar learning which I prefer. We talked for a while about Star Wars and name translations. My teacher told me that in Spanish, R2-D2 is Arturito and C-3PO has evolved from Sir Tripio to SeƱor Tripio. They're both a little off, but funny nonetheless.

El Sol was followed by UNIFE. We were supposed to watch a documentary about Peru, but we got to the school late, so we broke into language groups for two hours of conversation. The first hour was supposed to be English (although it was Spanglish) and I really enjoyed it today. I chatted with two UNIFE students and two other Northeastern students. We discussed the differences in applying to colleges in the states and in Peru, which I have mentioned in a previous blog. But also, we talked about scholarships and financial aid. At UNIFE, every student pays a different amount for their education. Tuition is based on how much the student paid for their secondary school. It's a very interesting system and it makes a lot of sense. Students who paid a lot for an expensive prep school (aka students who kind of paid their way into college) should have to pay more for their college. I didn't know this was even a possibility, but it was very interesting.

The second hour was all Spanish, but with a different group of students. They gave me some advice for my mosquito bites, which I really need to try because I'm dying a little. This hour was a lot of girl talk and gossip too, but it was still really fun. In class, I don't learn much about social conversation, so these conversation groups are so good just to practice and apply what I learn in school.

I had dinner with my host father who is incredibly intelligent. We talked a lot about the World Cup, which he is so excited about. Since Peru isn't participating, he is cheering for Brazil. Although he'll be pretty happy if Uruguay or Argentina win too. He is currently getting a doctorate in philosophy simply because he loves to learn. He has a bachelor's and two masters and he doesn't need any more schooling. But he enjoys learning so much that he decided to get a doctorate because why not. I love listening to him talk and I'm sad this is my last week with my host family, so I'm taking in every minute.

No comments:

Post a Comment