Sunday, June 15, 2014

It's Not Goodbye, It's See You When I See You


Friday was exciting and sad at the same time. It was our last day in Miraflores and we had a lot of things to do before we headed to Cusco. It was our final day of classes at El Sol, so we had to get some last minute grammar in before our teachers felt safe enough to set us free. Then, of course, we had to take pictures with the teachers, other students and the entire group.

After school and a quick lunch, we headed to UNIFE for a closing ceremony and our last day with the girls. We were lucky enough to watch a music performance and then had another round of dance lessons. We finished the day off with some soccer. I scored two goals and had an assist, so I’m pretty proud of myself for that.

Friday night was our final dinner in Miraflores. We went to a beautiful restaurant on the water. Literally. It was built on a pier out in the Pacific. So not only did we enjoy a phenomenal meal with good company, we also got to smell the ocean and watch the waves crash as we ate.


We (my roommates and I) bought my host mom flowers and a card to thank her and say goodbye. She was completely overjoyed. She kissed us all at least six times and assured us that her home is always open to us no matter what. Diego, my host father, also said the same thing and added if we did ever come back, we had to bring him Sara Lee poundcake.

I was really sad to say goodbye to Miraflores. It’s crazy how in just four weeks, the district became my home. I'm going to miss my host family, the friendliness of the locals, the runs on the cliffs, the Pacific Ocean in my backyard, my doormen, the central park and the adventures we had. I am really looking forward to exploring Cusco and I’m interested to see the differences. I’m also very excited to see the Incan sites and architecture. Plus I’m excited to be going with all the people in my program. It’s going to be an awesome last week.



No comments:

Post a Comment