Wednesday, June 18, 2014

The Moment of Glory

Words can not even begin to describe the awe that is Machu Picchu. Honestly, my pictures can't even do it justice. It was the most beautiful site I have ever seen. It was absolutely incredible. I realize that it's a place many people dream of going and not a lot of people get there. I'm so lucky to have had this experience and I don't think I could've imagined it any other way.

The day started bright and early, 4 am to be exact. We were up at 4 and out the hotel doors by 4:30. It was a two hour bus ride to the Peru rail train station. There we boarded a pretty nice train for a two hour ride. The train dropped us off in a small town where we took another 40 minute bus ride up to Machu Picchu. It's crazy because the actual site of Machu Picchu is pretty untouched. There aren't any stores or shops or touristy places right outside and that's why it takes so long to actually get there. But anyway, the five hours of travel were definitely worth it. I have never seen anything so massive, so untouched, so beautiful and so absolutely raw. It was insane. The fact that the site has been preserved and kept for hundreds of years astonishes me and I'm so lucky to have been there. (I'm going to say that a lot)

Anyway, we started with a site tour which was about an hour and half. Then, we had three hours to explore the site. So we decided to take a hike up to the Sun Gate which is located in a pass between two mountains. It was a 30ish minute hike and then we sat up there for a while to eat and enjoy the spectacular scenery. And take pictures of course.

We had the same five hour journey back to our hotel, although this one was a lot quieter than the ride to Machu Picchu. All in all it was an incredible day. One I will remember for the rest of my life.


No comments:

Post a Comment