Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Crafts and Culture

Our second day as teachers was much easier than the first. I went with six other students to a different class. This class was 15-year-olds who were a little shy. We immediately split into groups and got right down to talking. My first group was three students. One was a volleyball player, one was a chef and one liked water sports especially scuba diving. They were very nervous about their English, but I can say their English was much better than my Spanish. We switched groups halfway through class and I got to talk to two boys. I asked them questions in English and they answered in Spanish, so I did get to practice Spanish a little bit too.

After teaching, we had a lecture on the independence of Peru. The seniors in the school sat in the lecture with us and helped answer our questions slash translate. I'll be honest, by that point in my day, it's difficult for my brain to keep up with the Spanish, so my good friend Franco (one of the students) translated almost everything for me. This lecture included crafts, races and free chocolate.



The final (and best) part of the school day is recess. So today we got to play football, volleyball, frisbee and other games with the students. That was the best part. Just hanging out and playing.

Próximo

My host mom has three students from our program. But there are also two other students living here. There were three, but one left this morning. The other two are Keita and Rebecca. Both go to my school and both are very interesting. Keita is 30, from Japan and studying here for a year. His company is based in Lima, but has offices in Mexico, Chile and Japan. So it's very important for his job that he learn Spanish. Also, his name translates to "respect the fat man." Rebecca is very intelligent. She is 27 and from Philadelphia. She works for UPenn and they are paying her to be here. She only has a week left though. But once she goes back to the states, she's starting medical school. Busy girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment